Friday, May 10, 2013

Pitched Melba

When I first heard Melba Moore’s "You stepped into my life" I loved it so, that I was singing “you stepped into my life and I’m oh so happy” referring to Melba (ok no, but I was close). -Then I found out that the original version belonged to the Bee Gees, but this one couldn't leave me tickled pink.

The second track that I can –with difficulty, I’ll tell you that- spot and pick out as one of my Melba-favorites is "Mind up tonight". First of all I get serious chills with the bass (honest. I have a thing for bass) and the funky guitar along with Melba’ s singing really do enhance my situation. Second, I found it from the beginning a quite proper material for a contemporary edit and then the "voices" started: “Oh my God, what if someone had tickled this amazing tune?”

God didn't answer me, but Tiger & Woods did when they released the "Banana balls" EP this January. The EP consists of 2 tracks and 2 bonuses (one for each), which are all brilliant - although I do prefer a bit more the basic tracks from their bonus versions.

Apart from that, there's also Chip Chabralle's version which caught my eye - actually my ear -, with a bit more energetic beat and more use of the vocals, so you get to pick your favorite.

I don't know if Melba approves of all these (hopefully she does), but I surely do. With bells on.

Here you can find a snippet of the "Banana balls" EP and here you can check out "Pitch" which is Tiger & Woods's version of "Mind up tonight". Almost 8 minutes of awesomeness.

Here you can listen to Chip's Re Up and there. Now you can have fun.

tracks' info:
-Melba Moore - Mind up tonight 
The other side of the rainbow
Capitol Records 1982

-Tiger&Woods - Pitch
Banana balls
Editainment 2013

-Melba Moore - Mind up tonight (Chip's Re Up)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...